For all of you who have decided to give a break to meat we’ll present a vegetarian version of Chili Con Carne with mushrooms. It is so tasty that you might forget for the original.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 750g mushrooms
- 1 medium onion (100g)
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 400ml tomatoes (tinned)
- 250ml vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 fresh (or 4 roasted) red peppers
- two 400g cans red beans
- 10 tbsp oil
- 1-2 fresh chilies (optional)
- fresh coriander (for garnishing)
- Chop mushrooms into small pieces. Leave some medium peaces for texture.
- Finely chop onion, garlic and chilies (if using).
- Cut into bite size pieces the red peppers.
- At high heat cook the mushrooms and 1 tsp salt without any oil since the moisture is fully evaporated.
- Add 3 tbsp oil to the pan and mix well with the mushrooms.
- Lower heat to medium.
- Remove mushrooms from the pan and keep aside.
- Pour in the pan 7 tbsp oil and wait till it’s heated.
- Add contents of package # 1 and cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the chopped onion with a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes
- Add the garlic and chilies (if using) and 1 minute after them the cooked mushrooms.
- Stir in the contents of package # 2 and package Chili (optional).
- Add the tomato puree, mix well and 2-3 minutes later add 250ml of vegetable broth, 400ml tomatoes, red peppers, 2 cans of beans, salt and water.
- Allow it to boil, cover and simmer for at least 40 minutes.
- Finally garnish with fresh coriander (optional).
- Serve with basmati rice and guacamole.
We highly recommend that you see the video recipe before cooking: